Struggling with a broken or infected tooth is already bad enough. Having to wait for two weeks or even longer to get it restored only adds to the hassle.
Fortunately, you can bypass the waiting period and uncomfortable temporary crowns by opting for same-day dental crowns.
These crowns are designed, manufactured, and fitted in one appointment with the help of CAD/CAM technology. The dentist takes impressions of your teeth using a 3D camera, then uses the images to design and fabricate the crowns from a block of ceramic.
Leaving the dentist's office with a restored tooth sounds amazing. But, are same-day crowns as sturdy as traditional ones?
What’s The Longevity of a Same-Day Crown?
Same-day crowns are just as durable as traditional ones and can last, on average, between 10 and 15 years. Just like in the case of traditional dental crowns, this lifespan can be shortened or increased depending on various factors:
- Your Oral Hygiene: Regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups can extend the life of a crown.
- The Location of the Crown: Crowns placed on molars, which endure more biting force, might wear down more quickly than those on front teeth.
- Your Diet: Eating hard or sticky foods frequently can put more stress on a crown and reduce its lifespan. Acidic food can also wear down the dental crown adhesive and decrease its lifespan.
- Oral Habits: Behaviors like teeth grinding or biting on hard objects can damage crowns.
Tips to Help Your Same-Day Crown Last Longer
Making sure that your same-day crown will last as long as possible isn't that hard. Here are a few simple tips that can help you maximize the lifespan of your crown:
- Go to Regular Dental Visits: The dentist has a trained eye and can spot a problem even before you're experiencing any symptoms. Regular check-ups will help you make sure that both your crown and overall oral health are in top condition.
- Maintain Good Oral Hygiene: Regular brushing and flossing will remove plaque and help your crown last longer.
- Mind Your Diet: Be careful when eating hard, sticky, or chewy foods. Rinse your mouth with water after consuming acidic or staining foods and beverages.
- Wear a Mouthguard: Wear a mouthguard when playing sports and a nightguard if you grind your teeth. This way you avoid damaging or wearing down your crown.
- Avoid Using Your Teeth as Tools: Don't open bottles or rip open packages using your teeth.
Interested in Same-Day Crowns in Manhattan Beach, CA?
If you are intrigued by same-day crowns but still aren't sure if they are good enough for you, Dr. Lemire can answer all your questions.
Get in touch with Pacific Dental Aesthetics right away to book your appointment for same-day crowns and get your smile restored in just one day.